Aloha Hahaione Families
Welcome to our Grade 5 Level Webpage
in Grade 5
News and Announcements
YMCA - Camp Erdman
November 19-21, 2018
We are currently asking parents for snack donations for our students at Camp Erdman. Please bring in snacks that DO NOT contain any NUT products or has been made in a nut factory, as a few students may be allergic to nuts. Welches indiviual pouches, box of individual chips, popcorn, pretzels, gogurts, etc...
Please KOKUA and help keep our Camp Participants energized throughout the day.
School and Community Events:
Grade 5 Parents/Guardians – “Consider Niu Valley” Event
Wednesday, November 14, 2018, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at Niu Valley Middle School Cafeteria
Please join us at the annual “Consider Niu Valley Night” event to learn more about Niu Valley Middle School from the students, teachers and school administrators.
• 5:30 p.m. Niu Valley Band Performance
• 6:00 p.m. Formal Presentations
Hahaione Elementary School Parent-Teacher Conference Feedback Survey
Deadline to Provide Feedback: Friday, November 30, 2018
We would like to hear from you about your experience with our Parent-Teacher Conferences. Every parent or guardian is invited to provide their feedback, whether they participated in the parent-teacher conference or was unable to attend. Please share your thoughts with us to help us create the best possible parent-teacher conferences for next year.
Hahaione Hawks in the Annual Hawaii Kai Parade
Saturday, November 24, 2018, from Kamiloiki Park to Koko Marina
We will be providing more details soon. Please add to your calendar and join us as we spread the holiday cheer in our community and show our Hahaione Hawk pride. We will be joining the parade as a group wearing our school shirts. Stand by for further details.
Rummage Sale by Hahaione PTSA
Thank you to the many volunteers and donors who helped make the Hahaione PTSA Rummage Sale a success! We appreciate your support and are grateful for the funding that allows us to continue to bring to our students so many excellent learning opportunities.
Scholastic Book Fair by Hahaione Elementary School Literacy Center
Thank you, volunteers, parents, and guardians for making our first Book Fair of this school year so well attended. Our teachers also thank you for very generously purchasing wishlist books for their classrooms. Proceeds from the book fair will be used to purchase books for our school library for all of our children to enjoy. Thank you again for your support!
Community: Hahahione Neighborhood Security Watch Team Update
An active Neighborhood Security Watch Program has begun with the purpose of deterring potential crime and theft in our community. The team has 31 members and is continuing to grow the support of community members.
Interested in learning more about this citizen program by the Honolulu Police Department? Information flyers are available at our Hahaione Elementary Office and online at http://www.honolulupd.org/downloads/NSW_2016.pdf, or by contacting co-coordinator, Mr. Douglas Crabbe by email at email@example.com
For Your Calendar
• November 22 & 23 – No School; school offices are closed
• December 14 – Hahaione PTSA Ohana Night, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Hahaione
• December 21 – Last Day of School for First Semester/Second Quarter
• January 8 – Students Return to School
NEWS FROM KAISER COMPLEX OF SCHOOLS
Kaiser High School
Niu Valley Middle School
Aina Haina Elementary
Koko Head Elementary
Kaiser Complex News
Kaiser High School Farmer's Market – Returns to Regular Hours
Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Come and see what they have in store as the holiday season draws near. Hot prepared Thai Food, Fruits & Vegetables, Jewelry, Fresh farm eggs and more. Hope to see you there!
Denise Murai, Parent Support / Community Liaison
HAHA'IONE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
595 Pepeekeo St
Honolulu, HI 96825
Tel: (808) 397-5822
Fax: (808) 397-5827
School Website: HahaioneES.org
~ Haha`ione ... where helping hands join on a journey of wonder and discovery! ~
- PYP Unit #3 - How the World Works - Ecosystems, Energy & Matter - Our next PYP unit is starting this week. Students will be learning about Life Science with many different cycles found in nature. The water cycle, carbon dioxide, and nitrogen cycles. Food chains, producers, consumers, and decomposers. Student will also learn how organism get their energy, and how energy flows between systems.
Please Click on Navigation Bar (Right ----->)
"How the World Works - Ecosystems, Energy & Matter"
"LET'S GO LEARN!"
May the Force Be With YOU!
For new students entering Hahaione Elementary School. Please make sure to complete these forms:
- Emergency Cards
- Email Addresses can be used for communication with child's teacher.
- Student Photo/Video and Audio Release
- Technology & Internet Permission forms
- Google & Student Gmail Account permission forms
- Payments for Student Planners and Lunch Accounts
- HES T-shirt & order forms
- Field Trip Parental Permission Forms
After School Study Hall
After School Study Hall in are available for ALL students. Come and let's study and work together in a quiet, caring environment. Our teachers take pride in offering strong academic support and resources to all our students. Please check with your child's homeroom teacher for additional homework help or support if needed. For After School Study Hall in B101, Mr. H is available on Mondays, Tuesday, Thursdays, and Fridays from 2:30pm - 3:45pm.
Please note that some days may be longer, shorter or even cancelled due to faculty or other meetings. - All Student Study Hall Participants are expected to....
- Receive an after school study hall pass signed by their teacher prior to attending and parental permission is also needed. A teacher may request that a student attend study hall for additional reinforcement in academic areas. Please check with your child's teacher if this is possible.
- Report and check in to A-Plus first, get permission from A-plus staff, and give them the pass.
- Attend their own classroom study hall. Please check with your teacher first for available times and days.
- Students may attend other study halls if students get permission from other grade 5 teachers prior, and notify A-plus staff promptly. Students will need to a get pass or written note daily from a teacher.
- Follow school, classroom rules, and study halls rules as well.
- Work quietly, individually or collaboratively, and use their time effectively.
- Understand that Study Hall is a place to Complete classwork, homework, and use various resources to complete projects, and be appropriate. Study hall is NOT a place to Play or Fool around. DO NOT play games on the computers, unless authorized by a teacher for educational purposes only.
- Use all resources, supplies, materials, and equipment appropriately.
- Clean up the classroom environment, supplies and equipment as well.
- Be respectful, responsible, and caring to others.
- If students DO NOT ATTEND A-PLUS after school care, then parental permission is needed to attend. Please sign and return form. ALL students are welcome to attend After school Study Halls.
- Students please remember to wear your PE attire, shoes, and bring a water bottle. Hat, sunscreen are optional. Also, remember individual student conduct is also important. As we are approaching the end of the school year, please remember that the school policies, rules, student conduct, and expectations are still the same. Students are expected to follow and abide by classroom expectations and school rules set by the DOE, Hahaione School, your GLAD teachers, homeroom teachers, administration, recess and lunch supervisors. GLAD Days will be every week on Tuesdays.
Student Planners, Class Websites, and Envelopes:
- It is essential to check your child's homework assignments for completion and initial planner everyday.
- Please be on the look out for forms, flyers, messages in the Thursday Envelopes. Students will place them in their bags. Please check your child's bag, complete any forms, sign and return to your child's teacher.
- Review all IB Units of Inquiry: criteria, timelines, due dates, requirements and rubrics with your child for clarity. Students may need parental assistance to coordinate group meetings, and acquire outside resources, or materials in order to show progress on their projects.
- Please check our grade 5 level websites periodically updates throughout the year for grade level and school news, upcoming curricular and grade level events.
Planning Ahead: Please Be A Volunteer!
ROOM PARENTS wanted for new school year: Interested in helping out your child's teacher/other class parents? Please help our classes by becoming a Lead Room Parent. - Thank You So Much!
Volunteering this next school year? Check out this link to get you started: I Want to Volunteer
Other School Announcements:
new! FYI: Parking lot procedures. You'll have noticed that the parking lot gets very crowded. Please view map at this link: http://bit.ly/2vU2fgE
Pay for lunch on line at www.schoolcafe.com. You will need to get your child's 10-digit student number from his/her teacher, as this is private information that cannot be relayed via phone call to office.
HELP WANTED! After school classroom cleaners / Lunch room supervisors / Group leaders, program aides for A+ after school program. If interested in the classroom cleaner/lunchroom supervisor, contact vice principal, Lisa Mendonca; for A+ program, contact Linda Goeas. Leave message in school office.
After-School & Evening Programs at Hahaione:
1) Hula Me Hawaii, Lynn Segawa / firstname.lastname@example.org 808.561.6021
2) Hawaii Kai Dance, Monica Mariiko / email@example.com 808.457.5478
3) Kukui Learning Center Creative Writing Class, Crichton Uale / firstname.lastname@example.org
4) Your Little Artist art classes, Bree McGough / YourLittleArtist@gmail.com
5) Shotokan Karate, Hiro Maeda, Bob Spear / email@example.com 808.395.7511; Mr. Bob - 808.937.0609 6) Mathnasium / 808.949.8545
8) Sakura Japanese Class, Shizuyo Ribao / firstname.lastname@example.org 808.383.6845
9) Han-Jia Academy / email@example.com 808.798.0464
Community Info: new! Parents & Toddlers activity. See link for more info: http://bit.ly/2wO13rQ
Niu Valley Middle School Information:
- NEW! Niu Valley Middle School Uniform Sale: here:www.uniformsbytcc.com
- All Incoming grade 6 students to Niu Valley, get a jump on NVMS's announcements by signing up for our parent email blast group. Just email Parent Coordinator Joanne Imada at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hahaione Elementary School
Principal - Head of School
Student Services Coordinator (SSC)
Library & Literacy Center
Parent Community Networking Center (PCNC)
STEM & Grit Works Coordinator
Hahaione Elementary School, Kaiser Complex
An International Baccalaureate School
595 Pepeekeo Street, Honolulu, 96825
Ph: (808) 397-5822
Fax: (808) 397-5827
Twitter: @HahaioneES / @principalgoo